Thursday, May 15, 2008

Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Sauce and Gravy...

I can't tell you how many arguments we had around the kitchen table about spaghetti sauce.

Is it called sauce or is it called gravy?

Any way you slice it, it's all the same thing.

I watched my two Italian grandmothers make sauce (gravy) a number of times.
(Grandma Grande and Grandma Palmieri were both born in Italy and raised their familes in Providence Rhode Island))

I listed down the ingredients and then I asked them: how much of this ingredient or that ingrient do you use?

They both said the same thing: a little bit of this and a little bit of that...
After making gravy (sauce) for over 60 years, they really didn't know how much of any ingredient they put it...

I also watched my mom make her sauce. Sometimes she used whole tomatoes, sometimes she used tomato puree.

Here is my take on how to make red sauce:



Enjoy...

albert
Discover how to make pizza, pizza dough and much more
Learn to make pasta, eat pasta, love pasta...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was just what I needed. Great video on the Red sauce!

All the way from SG!
http://www.flavor.sg