Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Modern Apizza: Perfection in New Haven



We just got back from Modern Apizza in New Haven. Modern is the third member of the Holy Trinity of Pizza.The first two are Pepe's and Sally's. The most amazing thing is that we were able to get right in.

No wating. No line. No nothing. The pizza's were delivered to our table with-in ten minutes after we sat down. Talk about service!

We ordered three pizzas: a Clam Pizza, an Italian Bomb (pictured above), and a Cheese, Peppers and Onions.

Incredible! We were all surprised at how quickly our pizzas were delivered. The pizza was different from Pepe's and Sally's Apizza but certainly right up there in quality. The pizza was probably the thinest crust I have ever tasted.

The clam pizza was served with lemons and had a creamy cheesy taste. All of the pizzas had a generous amount of toppings. There was no skimping in that department.

It almost seems to me that Modern Apizza may be the absolute best kept secret in New Haven. There was ample parking as well.

Now because the pizzas are cooked in a brick oven, you need to expect a certain amount of blackness around the crust. According to The Modern Menu: "Our brick oven reaches temperature in excess of 700 degrees. Some pizzas may blacken around the edges and even lose their perfect shape due to contact with the brick floor of the oven."

Modern Apizza deserves to be recognized as having one of the absolute best pizzas in the world! None of us had ever been to Modern before, and you can bet your clams, we will return.
Modern Apizza is located on 874 State Street in New Haven, Connecticut.

You can find a link to their home page which includes a menu and directions at this link:
http://pizzatherapy.com/east.htm

Pizza on Earth...

Albert Grande
http://pizzatherapy.com/index.html
http://www.pastatherapy.com/
http://pastatherapy.com/forum/index.php
http://grandepublishing.com

2 comments:

CosmicBrat said...

...and here I thought I got the best pizza on the planet, in Canada...

________________


...My parents ran a print-shop, combo secretarial-service employment center, that they built from nothing... I worked there for several years.. and this day, I'm the stale-bills collector... So I dressed-up casual classy, and washes my parent's new car.. and I'm primed and off to be a "bill collector"...

...I was successful with a couple of those bad-clients.. I got the payable cheques, and one paid his whole bill in cash... Most of the buggers smoke-screened me with "mindless intellectual brilliance" and floods of lying BS promises... I saw right through them, like you can see through piss... They thought they were doing a good smoke-screening job... "GD mindless apeish adults!" thinks I...

Next call was at that Italian's restaurant... I gets the cheque.. and am about to leave, when suddenly the guy comes-on so strong it would make the squeamish instantly wet their pants on the spot...
He yells at me to stay there.. and three really tough hoods start to surround me, all looking like they would kill at the drop of a pin... I dint want any part of that Shid!, so I bolted, and ran to the car.. followed by the biggest mother of a hoodlum I ever saw.. screaming at me, and red as hell in the face.. opening his jacket, exposing a pistol, and yelling at me... I gets into the car, locks the door, starts 'er, and puts it into gear, and the big-guy slams his fists on the trunk lid, leaving two huge dents... and I drive away in a freaked rush...

Somehow my parents cooled everything down.. and dumped him as a client... but they got their money!..

________________


....... Seven years later, I'm strolling along the street, about 1:AM, a middle aged Italian rushes out from his pizza shop, and confronts me big time... Ends up he's the guy who slammed his fists on the trunk lid... I tried to shake him off, but he really insisted I listen to what he had to say... "I knew you would pass by today.. I was waiting for you... You are an hour late!.. I don't like it when people are late!..... I stopped you here now, because I have something very important for me, to ask your co-operation and brotherly forgiveness...
I am sorry, from my spirit and my soul, and whatever else there is of me, for what I put you through at Bondi's.. when I chased you and hit your car.. and probably gave you a hell of a fright... It's just that I was an employee, and the boss got me so hyped up to do my job, that I was like an out of control robot gorilla... I apologize for any discourse, pain, and expense, I caused you and your family... I have no choice, by the powers that be, but to make it up to you... I must make peace with my god, now.. and you are one of my last things I must do.. and you have no choice in this matter!..
I made a few mistakes with the mob.. and I don't believe I'll be alive next week... I don't have much.. Just this little restaurant.. and I don't have any money or treasure... All I've got is to teach you how to make the best pizza on the planet.. Would that be enough for your honest forgiveness?...
...I'll turn a large-base, and you are welcome to grace it with whatever pleases you...

I didn't know what to say.. so I said nothing.... I pointed to the kitchen.. "this way?"...
He smiled, and gave my shoulder a little push... I got the feel that I was moving toward my death.. but that faded quickly...
I added all the pizza treats I liked... plus a double dose of anchovies... He complained a little.. "You know.. this would be a 25-dollar pizza, if I made them that way!"...

"Well then, you are sure to get the forgiveness you so desire"...
We both burst out laughing.. and laughed, almost to tears...

Before he handed me my boxed pizza, he gave me a warm brotherly hug...
He had tears in his eyes...
He whispered, "I'll meet you in heaven.. Rather I hope!, you will offer me some cool water from where you are, to where I'm going"...

"Would chunks of glacier-ice be sufficient, my brother?"...

He grinned big, and was still grinning as he waved goodbye...

He called out, " I feel 500-pounds lighter! Thank You Sir"...

pizzatherapy said...

What a fantastic pizza story!

piza on earth,

albert
Pizza Therapy Pizza