This dish was one of my dad's specialties.
Pulling off the leaves of artichokes and dragging them between your teeth was fun!
Eating the stuffing was wonderful.
The absolute best taste was the "heart". (Life is like eating an artichoke...)
- 4 artichokes
- 1/2 Cup of Seasoned Italian Breadcrumbs (You can easily make your own by toasting bread, cursh bread, and add seasonings)
- 12-15 chopped olives (1 can)
- 12-15 chopped mushrooms (fresh taste better but use canned mushrooms if you must)
- 2-3 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 1-2 Tablespoons of finely chopped Italian parsley olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Bang artichokes on counter (leaves down) to loosen leaves. Rinse in cold water.
- Remove stems. Peel and put aside.
- Remove and discard small tough leaves from bottom. Use scissors to remove sharp tip from each leave.
- Chop stems and chop mushrooms. Sautee in olive oil until stems are tender and mushrooms have given up their water.
- In a bowl combine bread crumbs, olives, mushrooms, garlic, parsley, finely chopped stems and enough olive oil to moisten mixture. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread center of artichoke and insert stuffing.
- Place artichokes close together in heavy sauce pot with 2-3 inches of water.
- Simmer covered over medium to low heat until leaves pull away easily. (About 45 minutes) Replace water if needed.
- After eating the leaves, be sure to remove the "hair" around the heart of the artichoke.
Your efforts will be rewarded when you eat the "heart of the artichoke!"
Find more incredible artichoke recipes, here:
Pizza for Deadheads
Make Pasta, Now
In Beta: Join the Pizza Community: The My Space and Facebook of Pizza...