Monday, November 10, 2014

Best Flour for Pizza

Clint writes:

 Good evening! I have been a Pizza Therapy member for a while but just started
 reading.
 I’ve got a Pieson propane pizza oven (no longer in business) and
 make Forno Bravo’s exact recipe for Neapolitan pizza dough.
My grown kids
 get me Caputo 00 red for my birthday and fathers day. My quest is to find
 a recipe with whatever flour will give my crust more dry chew such as
 Scordato’s in Tucson or Napoli’s in Hoboken.

 I will read up on flour on your posts but appreciate any advice. I use a
 scale so everything is weighed to each recipe (even my meatballs are 80
 grams:).

 Pizza is “The wheel of life” in my mind.

 Thank you in advance.

My response:

Hi Clint,

Thanks for writing.

Honestly, I have no idea about: Scordato’s in Tucson or Napoli’s in Hoboken.
You may want to ask them or as I have done, check out the dumpster in back
of the restaurant!

Caputo (Antimo Caputo Chef's Flour, 2.2 Pound (Pack of 10)) is good flour but I understand you may need a very hot oven to get
great results.
I have used it many times and it has made good pizza....

In Tony Gemignani's new book (The Pizza Bible: The World's Favorite Pizza Styles, from Neapolitan, Deep-Dish, Wood-Fired, Sicilian, Calzones and Focaccia to New York, New Haven, Detroit, and more
(Pages 14 and 15) he talks
about all of the flours he recommends.

And he does recommend using a scale for all pizza dough!

He lists 18 different types of flours for making different types of pizza.

For me, and I am no purist, I always use the flour that tastes the best to
me....

I like Harvest King by General Mills as well as Sir Lancelot by King
Arthur. They are great flours for my purpose...(Tony does mention these
brands in his book)

Tony's book is incredible!

This is absolutely the BEST book on pizza ever written and you may find
the answers you seek...

I hope you find the answer to your quest and if you do, please share it
with me!

Here's to all of your pizza adventures and keep me in the loop!


pizza on earth,

albert

Check out Tony's great book, below...

No comments: