Can you really make egg plant parmigiana in 30 seconds?
No, you can't. But check out this 30 second video:
Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe
A wonderful dish that tastes better
the second time around!
1 medium egg plant
1/2 cup bread crumb
1-2 beaten eggs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
Basic Red Sauce
(Link will take you to recipe and video)
- Peel egg plant. Slice the eggplant.
- Dip egg plant in egg mixture and then in bread crumbs covering both sides.
- Heat olive oil in pan, and fry egg plant until lightly browned.
(Before cooking the eggplant, my mom and grandmother would put a clove or two of garlic in the oil, let it turn brown and then discard. "This is to flavor the olive oil," they would say.)
- Drain on paper towel. (After frying a few pieces of eggplant, you can continue to the next step.)
- Ladle a small amount of sauce into a baking dish or baking pan.
- Place a single layer of egg plant, cheese and sauce.
- Repeat this process until you are out of room or egg plant.
- Top with sauce and cheese.
- Bake in a 350º oven for 30 to 45 minutes. Can be cooked longer, but cover the baking dish so the eggplant won't dry out.
Hints and Tips
- Cheese can be omitted from recipe and it will still be good!
- A low fat version of this dish can be made by omitting cheese and broiling the egg plant instead of frying.
- Eggplant can be served as a main course or side dish.
- A small eggplant can go a long way.
- Some people prefer to leave the skin on the eggplant, which is fine. I prefer to peel it.
- Use the eggplant in a sub or grinder sandwich. This will knock your socks off!
check out my friend, Mario's book: