This dish was often served when we would visit Auntie Anna. Whenever we would eat at her house there would be many different types of Italian food. Lots of food.
And you were always expected to eat it. All of it. If you didn't eat, you were in trouble.
She always served this dish as an appetizer. It was always the first thing on the table. She would serve this dish with a loaf of Italian bread.
She explains: "I thought you might like my Famous Sausage and Pepper Special! This recipe can be made into a casserole and baked also."
- 1 lb. of Italian sausage
- 2 medium potatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 large red or green pepper, cut in strips
- 1 can of mushrooms
- onion to taste
- pinch of salt and pepper
- corn oil or olive oil
- Sprinkle or spray olive oil on to surface of frying pan. (I use corn oil)
- Sauté sausage very slowly.
- When sausage is half cooked, add potatoes, salt and pepper.
- When potatoes are semi-cooked add peppers, mushrooms and onion.
- Simmer on low for about 30 minutes or more.
Thanks for some wonderful memories, Auntie Anna!
Peppers and Sausage on earth,
And if you want some great sausage, check out: